Sunday, April 1, 2012

ASSIGNMENT OF MOOD


GROUP I
INT. THE STUDY - NIGHT - CONT.
CHARLES KINGSLEY has just described his new venture to his friends, including LORD ASCOT.
LORD ASCOT
Charles, you have finally lost your
senses.
A COLLEAGUE
This venture is impossible.
CHARLES KINGSLEY
For some. Gentlemen, the only way to
achieve the impossible is to believe
it is possible.
A COLLEAGUE
That kind of thinking could ruin you.
CHARLES KINGSLEY
I’m willing to take that chance.
Imagine trading posts in Rangoon,
Bangkok, Jakarta...

He stops. His nine year-old daughter ALICE stands at the
door in her nightgown, clearly frightened. He goes to her.
CHARLES KINGSLEY
The nightmare again?
She nods. He takes her hand and turns to his guests.
CHARLES KINGSLEY
I won’t be long.

GROUP II
INT. YOUNG ALICE’S BEDROOM - LATER
He sits on her bed, listening with utmost seriousness.
ALICE
I’m falling down a dark hole, then I
see strange creatures...
CHARLES KINGSLEY
What kind of creatures?
ALICE
Well, there’s a dodo bird, a rabbit in
a waistcoat, a smiling cat...
CHARLES KINGSLEY
I didn’t know cats could smile.
ALICE
Neither did I. Oh, and there’s a blue
caterpillar.
CHARLES KINGSLEY
Blue caterpillar. Hmm.
ALICE
Do you think I’ve gone round the bend?
He feels her forehead as if for a fever.
CHARLES KINGSLEY
I’m afraid so. You’re mad. Bonkers.
Off your head. But I’ll tell you a
secret...all the best people are.
She smiles and leans against him.
CHARLES KINGSLEY
It’s only a dream, Alice. Nothing can
harm you there. But if you get too
frightened, you can always wake up.
Like this.
He pinches her. She screams and pinches him back.

GROUP III
INT. THE CARRIAGE - DAY
ALICE KINGSLEY is on the verge of womanhood, beautiful, but
slightly off-kilter. She sees the world with different eyes
than other people her age. Presently, she’s tired and grumpy
as her mother fusses with her wild mane of blonde hair.
ALICE
Must we go? I doubt they’ll notice if
we never arrive.
HELEN KINGSLEY
They will notice.
She re-ties her waist sash, feeling for her corset.
HELEN KINGSLEY
Where’s your corset?
She pulls back her dress to see bare legs.
HELEN KINGSLEY
And no stockings!
ALICE
I’m against them.
HELEN KINGSLEY
But you’re not properly dressed.
ALICE
Who’s to say what is proper? What if
it was agreed that “proper” was
wearing a codfish on your head? Would
you wear it?
HELEN KINGSLEY
Alice.
ALICE
To me a corset is like a codfish.
HELEN KINGSLEY
Please. Not today.
Frustrated, Alice looks out the window and mutters.
ALICE
Father would have laughed.
She sees the hurt on her mother’s face and instantly regrets
her words.
ALICE
I’m sorry. I’m tired. I didn’t sleep
well last night.
Her mother pats her hand in a forgiving gesture.
HELEN KINGSLEY
Did you have bad dreams again?
ALICE
Only one. It’s always the same ever
since I can remember. Do you think
that’s normal? Don’t most people have
different dreams?
Alice’s mother removes her own jewelry and puts it on her.
HELEN KINGSLEY
I don’t know. There! You’re
beautiful. Now, can you manage a
smile?

GROUP IV
The garden party is in full swing. Everyone has turned out
in their summer finery. Guests play croquet on the great
lawn. Skiffs drift lazily on a meandering river.
Alice approaches LORD and LADY ASCOT with a fixed unnatural
smile. Lord Ascot is a stately, aristocratic man. Lady
Ascot is red-faced with annoyance.
LADY ASCOT
At last! We thought you’d never
arrive. Alice, Hamish is waiting to
dance with you. Go!
She pushes Alice off and turns on Helen.
LADY ASCOT
You do realize it’s well past four!
Now everything will have to be rushed
through!
HELEN KINGSLEY
I am sorry. We...
LADY ASCOT
Never mind!
She rushes off.
LORD ASCOT
Forgive my wife. She’s been planning
this affair for the last twenty years.
HELEN KINGSLEY
If only Charles were here...
LORD ASCOT
My condolences, madame. I think of
your husband often. He was truly a
man of vision.
HELEN KINGSLEY
Thank you.
LORD ASCOT
I hope you don’t think I have taken
advantage of your misfortune.
HELEN KINGSLEY
Of course not. I’m pleased that
you’ve purchased the company.
LORD ASCOT
I was a fool for not investing in his
mad venture when I had the chance.
She smiles.
HELEN KINGSLEY
Charles thought so too.

GROUP V
Alice does a line dance with HAMISH who takes after his
mother, refined and immaculate with aristocratic arrogance.
ALICE
Hamish, do you ever tire of the
Quadrille?
HAMISH
On the contrary. I find it
invigorating.
He struts like a peacock. Alice laughs.
HAMISH
Do I amuse you?
ALICE
No. I had a sudden vision of all the
ladies in top hats and the men wearing
bonnets.
He doesn’t even crack a smile.
HAMISH
It would be best to keep your visions
to yourself. When in doubt, remain
silent.
Alice’s smile fades. Without her father, she feels there’s
no one like her in the whole world. They dance on. Alice
sees a flock of geese overhead. Distracted, she bumps into
the dancers in front of them.
HAMISH
Pardon us! Miss Kingsley is
distracted today.
(to Alice)
Where is your head?
ALICE
I was wondering what it would be like
to fly.
HAMISH
Why would you waste your time thinking
about such an impossible thing?
ALICE
Why wouldn’t I? My father said he
sometimes believed in six impossible
things before breakfast.
She laughs at the memory. Hamish looks pained. He sees his
mother nearby. She waves him on impatiently.
HAMISH
Meet me under the gazebo in precisely
ten minutes.




GROUP VI

He goes off. Suddenly two giggling girls appear in front of
Alice. It’s the Chattaways.
FAITH
We have a secret to tell you.
ALICE
If you’re telling me, then it’s not
much of a secret.
FIONA
Perhaps we shouldn’t.
FAITH
We decided we should!
FIONA
If we tell her, she won’t be
surprised.
FAITH
Will you be surprised?
ALICE
Not if you tell me. But now you’ve
brought it up, you have to.
FAITH
No we don’t.
FIONA
In fact, we won’t.
ALICE
I wonder if your mother knows that you
two swim naked in the Havershim’s
pond.
FAITH
You wouldn’t!
ALICE
Oh, but I would. There’s your mother
now.
Alice starts to walk toward her. Fiona blurts out.
FIONA
Hamish is going to ask for your hand!
Alice stops dead. Her sister, MARGARET, suddenly pulls her
away.
MARGARET
You’ve ruined the surprise!
(to Alice)
I could strangle them! Everyone went
to so much effort to keep the secret.
ALICE
Does everyone know?
MARGARET
It’s why they’ve all come. This is
your engagement party. Hamish will ask
you under the gazebo. When you say
“yes”...
ALICE
But I don’t know if I want to marry
him.
MARGARET
Who then? You won’t do better than a
Lord.
She looks at Hamish who blows his nose, studies the contents
of his kerchief, then folds it and puts it in his pocket.
MARGARET
You’ll soon be twenty, Alice. That
pretty face won’t last forever. You
don’t want to end up like Aunt
Imogene.
They look at their middle-aged AUNT IMOGENE with over-rouged
cheeks and a yellowing white dress that’s too young for her.
MARGARET
And you don’t want to be a burden on
mother, do you?
ALICE
No.
MARGARET
So you will marry Hamish. You will be
as happy as I am with Lowell and your
life will be perfect. It’s already
decided.
Lady Ascot’s face suddenly looms in hers.
LADY ASCOT
Alice dear, shall we take a leisurely
stroll through the garden? Just you
and me?
She jerks her away quickly.

GROUP VII
EXT. THE ROSE GARDENS 8
Lady Ascot steers her through the gardens at a fast clip.
LADY ASCOT
Do you know what I’ve always dreaded?
ALICE
The decline of the aristocracy?
LADY ASCOT
Ugly grandchildren. But you’re so
lovely. You’re bound to produce
little...
(she gasps)
Imbeciles! The gardeners planted
white roses when I specifically asked
for red!
ALICE
You could always paint the roses red.
Lady Ascot looks at her strangely.
LADY ASCOT
What an odd thing to say. Come along.
She hurries her along the path. Alice hears a jingling sound.
LADY ASCOT
You should know that my son has
extremely delicate digestion...
Alice sees SOMETHING LARGE AND WHITE dart past.
ALICE
Did you see that?
LADY ASCOT
See what?
ALICE
It was a rabbit, I think.
LADY ASCOT
Nasty things. I do enjoy setting the
dogs on them. Don’t dawdle.
She rushes Alice toward the gazebo. Alice looks for the
rabbit.
LADY ASCOT
If you serve Hamish the wrong foods,
he could get a blockage.
And there it is, a LARGE WHITE RABBIT in a waistcoat,
standing on its hind legs and staring directly at Alice. She
blinks. The White Rabbit darts behind a tree.
ALICE
Did you see it that time?
LADY ASCOT
See what?
ALICE
The rabbit!
LADY ASCOT
Don’t shout! Pay attention. Hamish
said you were easily distracted. What
was I saying?
ALICE
Hamish has a blockage. I couldn’t be
more interested, but you’ll have to
excuse me.
GROUP VIII

Alice dives into the wooded area off the path and stands for
a moment, mind reeling. A hand lands on her shoulder. She
jumps.
ALICE
Aunt Imogene! I think I’m going mad.
I keep seeing a rabbit in a waistcoat.
IMOGENE
How very strange. What kind of
waistcoat?
ALICE
Brocade, I think. What does it
matter? It’s a rabbit in a waistcoat!
IMOGENE
I can’t be bothered with your fancy
rabbit now. I’m waiting for my
fiance.
ALICE
You have a fiance?
The White Rabbit darts by.
ALICE (CONT’D)
There! Did you see it?
IMOGENE
He’s a prince. But, alas he cannot
marry me unless he renounces his
throne. Isn’t it tragic?
ALICE
Very.

She backs away and runs into her sister’s husband, LOWELL,
kissing a strange woman. The woman runs off.
ALICE
Lowell?
LOWELL
Alice. We were...Hattie is an old
friend.
ALICE
I can see you’re very close.
Lowell is bright red and highly flustered.
LOWELL
You won’t mention this to your sister,
will you?
ALICE
I don’t know. I’m confused. I need
time to think.
LOWELL
Think of Margaret. She would never
trust me again. You don’t want to
ruin her marriage, do you?
ALICE
Me? I’m not the one...


No comments:

Post a Comment